Motion Picture Studio
The Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio was established in 1953 under the direction of “Judge” Wetzel Whitaker as a professional motion picture production unit. It produced films for the university and the various auxiliary organizations of the Church. The studio was transferred to the LDS Church in 1991 and became the LDS Motion Picture Studio.
The Brigham Young University Archives houses several collections that document the history of the Motion Picture Studio while it was run by the university. They include:
- UA 893 Motion Picture Studio Production files, 1946-1991. This collection contains files relating to films, videos, and filmstrips produced by the studio. It includes scripts, correspondence, and financial papers and is arranged by project number. A finding aid is available here.
- UA 1244 Motion Picture Studio records, 1979-1987. This collection contains correspondence documenting the activities of the studio from 1979 to 1987. A finding aid is available here.
- UA 1287 Motion Picture Studio BYU Archive Footage, 1949-1981. This collection contains film footage of the Brigham Young University campus. A finding aid is available here.
- UA 940 Motion Picture Studio audiovisual materials, 1971-1999. This collection contains audiovisual materials produced by the BYU Motion Picture Studio. The collection contains materials concerning recruiting, library research, academic colleges and departments, business, KBYU and the press, BYU administration, history, and social and student life. The collection also includes master tapes, production records, song directories and use-copy DVDs for the collection, from 1971 to 1999. A finding aid is available here.
- UA 5637 Motion Picture Studio collection of historic university footage, 1946-1976. This collection contains historic footage of Brigham Young University covering a wide range of themes and events. Mingled with the footage of Brigham Young University are various other footage samples related to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Utah. Dates range from 1946 to 1976. A finding aid is available here.
- UA 5414 Motion Picture Studio photograph collection, 1968. This collection contains photographs of movie productions from the Motion Picture Studio. The photographs were taken by President David O. McKay. A finding aid is available here.
If you would like to learn more about the resources available for studying the history of the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio, please contact the University Archivist at (801) 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org.