Alpine Summer School Classes
In order to escape the summer heat in Provo, under President Franklin S. Harris the university began offering summer courses at a retreat at the base of Mount Timpanogos in 1922. Courses offered included natural sciences such as geology and botany, as well as the arts. During the early years of the program, classes were taught in tents and ran for six weeks.
Within ten years a small campus of permanent structures was built, including dormitories, classrooms, and a library. However, due to the amount of fuel required to transport the students and maintain the facilities, the program was discontinued in 1942. In 1963, the buildings were transferred to the Alumni Association to create the Aspen Grove Family Camp.